Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

justme2

For Virginia tax return, do I need to attach federal return?

I have been using TurboTax for 5 years, and my Virginia return has always been just a couple of pages.  This year, it wants to attach my entire federal return.  Is this because of Tax Reform or is this a mistake in the program or perhaps something else?

Schedules 1-5, B/C/SE, federal 2441, federal 6251, federal 8959, federal 8960, and federal 8801

As near as I can tell, these are the same forms I filed last year, with the exception that I have dropped schedule A, and the schedules 1-5 appear new.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  Sometimes the state requires the Federal return to be attached when there are certain items being claimed.  For example, many states want a copy of the Federal return to verify an income item being claimed, such as self-employment or rental income.  You are claiming self-employment, and Virginia may be requiring you to attach the Federal return for this reason.

If TurboTax provided you with all of these forms, you won't hurt anything by mailing them all in.  Sending in too much paperwork won't be a problem.  Not sending in enough paperwork will create Virginia to send you letters asking for more information.  TurboTax assists by printing out all of the paperwork you should need for the state return in the order that it should be mailed.

If you are e-filing, you don't need to mail anything to the state, but rather keep the information for your records.  It is a copy of what Virginia is receiving.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
justme2

Thanks.  I edited to say I think the forms are the same as last year.  It still feels odd.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

"Better to be safe than sorry" is a good adage.  My state requires a Federal return for a lot of those documents.  It varies by state.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies