Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rouconn

For married filing jointly, can a supplemental document be prepared that splits tax obligations and payments per filer?

Looking for the supplemental document to be prepared on my behalf.  Asking because one of us (me in this case) will owe this year while my significant other will see a return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

For married filing jointly, can a supplemental document be prepared that splits tax obligations and payments per filer?

No.  There is no way when filing as Married Filing Jointly to split individual obligations.  All income, deductions and credits are jointly reported on the tax return along with any tax refund or taxes owed.

No.  There is no supplemental document to break down the refund or tax due per spouse when you file a joint return.

When you file a joint tax return, all of your income is combined on one Form 1040.  The refund is issued in both names; if you owe tax due, the tax debt is owed jointly by the two spouses.   There is no "his and hers" on a joint return.   The tax form is not going to break down the refund by who earned the most or who should get the "most" of the refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies