turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For health coverage section, how to say in ttax, wife no insurance april to dec 2017, she's not yet in u.s. jan to mar 2017

wife just arrived as immigrant April 2017 and has no health insu until Dec, for tax purposes filing jointly under health coverage section.

1.selected option unaffordable

-on section "select months each of you had health insu in 2017", no months are selected under wife

-on section "select each of you were offered health insu thru work that was not affordable", months april to dec are selected under wife.

if i go this way, there will be penalty for Jan to mar where wife is still not in u.s., but if i add checkbox option "resident of foreign country" on 1 above, there will be a section, Ttax will ask "select the months you lived in another country, where i can select the box for Jan to Mar, am i doing it right if i go this way..?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For health coverage section, how to say in ttax, wife no insurance april to dec 2017, she's not yet in u.s. jan to mar 2017

If she qualifies for an exemption to the penalty for the entire year, then yes, select that insurance was not affordable and she was not a citizen, then select the months it was not affordable.  You will then come to the question asking who was a foreign resident.  If you select her name, then on the next screen you should see something that says the penalty has been waived. 

See Screenshot

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If she qualifies for an exemption to the penalty for the entire year, then yes, select that insurance was not affordable and she was not a citizen, then select the months it was not affordable.  You will then come to the question asking who was a foreign resident.  If you select her name, then on the next screen you should see something that says the penalty has been waived. 

See Screenshot

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank You TurboTaxVanessaIA
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies