Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kenbrown

Following the guidance under the search question "How do I enter my capital loss carryover?", there is no "Jump to" link in the search results. How to add loss carryover?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Following the guidance under the search question "How do I enter my capital loss carryover?", there is no "Jump to" link in the search results. How to add loss carryover?

@ kenbrown  wrote:  "Following the guidance under the search question "How do I enter my capital loss carryover?", there is no "Jump to" link in the search results. How to add loss carryover?"

Try my guidance and the way I worded it below.   I just tested my steps again.  Follow them exactly.  I can't get it to fail if followed exactly.

• With your return open, in the top right corner click on the Search icon (magnifying glass).
  • In the Search box, type capital loss carryover without quotes.   ( Note: also do not choose anything in the suggested dropdown as you are typing the term.)   After you enter the term, click the adjacent magnifying glass (the one right next to the entered search term).
  • You should now see jump to capital loss carryover.  Click that.
  • Next screen is  Do you have investment losses you couldn't claim last year?
kenbrown

Thank you for the response!

Reading the very first part of your first bullet (i.e., "With your return open...") led me to the issue. After logging in, I do not have the option to "Continue or Pick up where you left off in the progress tracker", as the official guidance states (maybe this is because I already finished and reviewed my return?). If I simply search for "capital loss carryover" from this screen, I don't get the "Jump to..." link. If instead I click down into one of the subsections of the return (i.e., My Info, Income and Wages, etc.), then the same search for "capital loss carryover" returns the desired "Jump to..." link. Maybe that would be obvious to some, but it wasn't to me. Thank you for getting me on the way.

You're welcome.  I'm glad it finally worked for you.   Yeah, you actually have to have the return interview opened back up--not just that options screen when you first log in.  But it sounds like you figured it out, and got into the interview.   When I next have to tell someone again, I'll be sure to tell them to go past that initial screen into one of the subsections.   Thanks for reporting back. Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies