Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First time using turbotax. I need to file married filing jointly or as surviving spouse, but it's only asking for my single info. how do I change status?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

First time using turbotax. I need to file married filing jointly or as surviving spouse, but it's only asking for my single info. how do I change status?

If your spouse passed away in 2023 you can file your 2023 tax return as Married Filing Jointly.

If your spouse passed away in 2022 or earlier and you have not remarried and do not have a dependent child you file as Single.  However, if you have a dependent child and your spouse passed away in 2021 or 2022 then select Married and then Widowed.

Thank you.  My issue is I don't know where to select that option?  It's walking me through the process as if I'm a single and I can't find where to change my status to married.  Where do I select married filing jointly?  My husband passed away End of May 2023, so I need to include his income, etc. on my return.

Thanks

@jsomerswv-gmail- wrote:

Thank you.  My issue is I don't know where to select that option?  It's walking me through the process as if I'm a single and I can't find where to change my status to married.  Where do I select married filing jointly?  My husband passed away End of May 2023, so I need to include his income, etc. on my return.

Thanks

When you are entering your personal information in the My Info section of the program you are asked for your status for filing.  You need to select Married and then select that you will be filing the return with your spouse.  When entering your spouse's information there will be a screen asking several questions concerning the spouse.  One will be if the spouse has passed away.  Select that they passed away and then enter the date of their passing.

Click on My Info on the left side of the online program screen if you are using the TurboTax online web-based editions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies