Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Skylah26

First time filing with a dependent

I was working from January 1st 2023 to March 17th of 2023. I was pregnant but I didnt change my dependents from 0 to 1 because she wasnt born yet. I had planned on going back to work but had her unexpectedly a month early. From then on I have been a stay at home mom. I am filing single and this will be my first time filing taxes with a dependent. I am 20, almost 21, years old so i haven't been filing taxes long enough to completely understand everythijng. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am pretty much asking if I am going to owe the IRS due to only working 3 months and what is the best way to go about filing my taxes for the first time with a dependent. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Assuming you were not a full time student in 2023 -

Was your 2023 income $4,700 or more in 2023?  If so, then no one can claim you as a dependent.  You would file your tax return as Single (assuming you are not legally married) and you can claim your child as your dependent on your tax return.  When asked by the TurboTax program how long the child lived with you, indicate the Whole Year.  You will be eligible for the Child Tax Credit of up to $2000 and the Earned Income Tax Credit.

If your income was less than $4,700 then whomever is supporting you and your child may be able to claim you and your child as dependents on their tax return.  If they do claim the child, then you cannot claim the child as a dependent on your tax return.  You would file your return as Single and indicate on your tax return that you can be claimed as a dependent.

All of the child-related credits are based on having income earned from working, so you may not have earned enough to be eligible for the refundable child tax credit.   You might be able to get a small amount of earned income credit.   But---is there someone else who has been supporting you and your child who can claim both of you as dependents?   Who has been supporting you and your child?  Provide some details so we can be more helpful.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies