Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

First time e-filing my parents' joint return

I have completed my parents' joint tax return using Turbotax Home and Business 2020. This is the first time my parents have used any Turbotax product for their return. The return is complete and I am ready to e-file. Turbotax is asking me some questions for identity verification. One of the questions is about whether they filed together or separately. But the next question is confusing. When I selected that they filed together, it then asks me for the AGI of first my dad, and then my mom SEPARATELY. I don't have separate AGIs because there is only one AGI for the two of them. Do I answer the same total AGI amount for both my dad and my mom, which would be their total AGI? It ells you not to guess, because your return could be rejected. I don't know why it asks for each parent's AGI separately when 2019 was a joint return. I don't want to guess. Does anyone know what I should enter s the AGI? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

First time e-filing my parents' joint return

IF they filed MFJ-together last year too, then the AGI is the same for both of them......line 8b of their 2019 form 1040.

Exceptions:  If they filed late in 2020 for 2019 on paper, or if their 2019 tax return is not processed yet...then that might be rejected...and you might have to set the AGI as zero for both of them....but you would probably wouldn't do that unless the first e-file attempt is rejected.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies