Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i file taxes afte the death of my spouse

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
JohnR

First of all, allow me to express my condolences on the passing of your spouse.

The tax filing status after the death of a spouse is fairly straightforward. If your spouse dies during the year, the IRS considers you married for the entire year and you can use the filing status "married filing jointly" when your tax return is prepared.

On the top of form 1040 for your spouse, write "deceased" and your spouse's name and date of death. If there is a personal representative that has been appointed for your deceased spouse, then that person will have to sign the return and if the return is a joint return, you will also sign it. If there is no personal representative then you should sign the return and in the signature area write "filing as surviving spouse".

For the two years following the death of your spouse, if you have a dependent child and meet all the requirements listed below, you can use the filing status "qualifying widow with dependent child".

my spouse died December 31, 2019. I am the surviving spouse. Can I file an e-return?

My spouse died December 31, 2019. I am the surviving spouse. Can I file an e-return?

@jeanannebeasley wrote:

My spouse died December 31, 2019. I am the surviving spouse. Can I file an e-return?

For tax year 2019 you can file as Married Filing Jointly and you can e-file.  When enter your spouse's information you will come to a screen asking if they passed away during the year.  Check  the box and then enter the date of their passing.

72Ityas
Returning Member

My return has been rejected. I am filing the last joint return as my husband deceased 01/24/2021 and his social security number has been locked as a decedent by Social Security. My return also has State taxes and I do not know how to remove. Please advise me how to correct errors so I will be able to file electronically.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@72Ityas

I am sorry to hear of your loss.  

Please see this Help Article which will walk you through how to repair and proceed with this type of rejection.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My wife always filed our taxes jointly using turbo tax.  she passed on 7 November  2021.  We have investments that pay for taxes as they develop.  Now that she has passed I would like to continue using turbo tax but do not have the knowledge she had.  Should I go to a tax account?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You should try using TurboTax first before going to a professional. The program is very user friendly and you can use the help option you will see on the screen to talk with a professional tax agent who can help you get your tax return filed.

@Gary Scarborough

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies