Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filling a Detroit Return

I purchased a home in Detroit so I am a resident. My employer knows that I live in Detroit but city taxes is not being taken out from my wages. I contacted my employer and they told me that since I live in the city but do not work in the city  taxes is not being taking out. But not to long ago I got a letter and it was from the City of Detroit and they want me to file a city return for the year I purchased my home. So my question is one of the question on the city retrun ask how much of your income is made in the city and my answer is 0 cause I work outside the city  but lives in the city. Am I filling out the form correctly. I do not know what to do.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Filling a Detroit Return

Yes, if it is asking how much of your income is earned in the city, and you do not work in the city, the answer would be $0. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Filling a Detroit Return

Yes, if it is asking how much of your income is earned in the city, and you do not work in the city, the answer would be $0. 

Filling a Detroit Return

How do I fill out the form. Is my income exempt from Detroit city tax if so I tried to amend my 2020 tax year to add the city tax form and it will not print. Only the federal taxes was available for print. I need help this form need to be mailed before the 25 of April.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Filling a Detroit Return

The city of Detroit taxes Detroit residents no matter where their income is earned (in or outside of Detroit).  Detroit also taxes non-residents if they work in Detroit.  If you were or became a resident of the city of Detroit in 2020 then you will need to file a Detroit city tax form for that year.  

Sign in to your account and locate your 2020 return.  Select "Add a state" to allow you back in to your return.  Navigate to the MI state interview and in the "General/Residency" section you need to answer that you "Need a Detroit City" return.  

For the prior years you can then select that you don't need a Michigan return and go directly to the Detroit City return.  

Complete the interview and then using the "Print Center" in the left hand menu you can print/download your returns and find the Detroit City return for mailing.  

Repeat for any other prior years of Detroit residency. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies