Priscilla9490

Filing

My husband passed 1/12/22, need to change status. Do I choose single? And can I claim zero dependant?

Filing

So sorry for your lose.  There is no need to change your status on the W-4 for tax year 2022.  You can file as Married Filing Jointly for 2022 since your spouse passed away during the tax year.

For tax year 2023, you can change your status on the W-4 to Single if you do not remarry and you do not have any dependent children.

John-H2021

Filing

Hello Priscilla,

Sorry about your husband passing.

You can change your withholding to Single by filling out a new W-4, here is the link https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

In step 1 box C check the box for Single or married filing seperaltely, leave the rest of the form blank, sign it and turn it in to your employer. It will take about 1-2 pay periods for the new withholding to take affect.

When filing your 2022 tax return you will still file married as your husband passed in 2022, you will sign the return as surviving spouse.

Thanks