Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member


My husband passed 1/12/22, need to change status. Do I choose single? And can I claim zero dependant?

2 Replies
Level 15


So sorry for your lose.  There is no need to change your status on the W-4 for tax year 2022.  You can file as Married Filing Jointly for 2022 since your spouse passed away during the tax year.

For tax year 2023, you can change your status on the W-4 to Single if you do not remarry and you do not have any dependent children.

Employee Tax Expert


Hello Priscilla,

Sorry about your husband passing.

You can change your withholding to Single by filling out a new W-4, here is the link

In step 1 box C check the box for Single or married filing seperaltely, leave the rest of the form blank, sign it and turn it in to your employer. It will take about 1-2 pay periods for the new withholding to take affect.


When filing your 2022 tax return you will still file married as your husband passed in 2022, you will sign the return as surviving spouse.


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings