Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stuff6737

Filing taxes with my husband

This is the first time we’re following together he is out on the road and I’m trying to get this done how do I complete this

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If you don’t have all the information you need to file your return by today’s filing deadline, you can file Form 4868 with the IRS for an extension of time to file. Sending this form will grant you an extension to file until October 17, 2022. 

Note that filing an extension doesn’t give you additional time to pay any balance due on the return. If you don't pay the entire amount due with your extension, you may be subject to penalties and interest.

Please see the TurboTax Help article How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868)? for guidance on filing your extension.

If this isn't an option for you, please reply.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon at the lower left
**Mark the post that best answers your question by clicking on “Mark as Best Answer”

Oldlady

If he agrees to have you file the numbers you crunched, he could send you a photo of his drivers license.  You need his state, number, date of issue and date of expiration from the front of the license.   Obviously its fraud if you use that info without his consent, but those are the things they use as 'signature'

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It's not a problem if your husband agrees with the tax return information and you could send him a copy to allow him to review the information.  In the future it may be advisable to have a valid 'Power of Attorney' on hand so that you can handle any legal documents that require his signature. The IRS has Form 2848 Power of Attorney, available for situations like yours.

@stuff6737

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@stuff6737 

when you e-file your return is presumed to be signed.

That includes both persons on a joint return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies