Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing on Guam with self-employment income. Completed the 1040SS, but also need to file Guam 1040, and it looks like I will be paying SE tax twice.How do I document this?

I have completed schedules 1, 4, SE and C.  The amount of self-employment income is reported in my adjusted gross (for the Guam 1040) - so will be paying tax for that income.  And I'm paying the SE tax for federal 1040-SS.  On the Guam 1040 line 14 "other taxes" asks for the schedule 4 amount as well - which I already will pay to federal.  Guam does not have/contribute to social security - so why am I paying this twice?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Mumblish

Filing on Guam with self-employment income. Completed the 1040SS, but also need to file Guam 1040, and it looks like I will be paying SE tax twice.How do I document this?

Yes, you are correct, you shouldn't pay twice. Line 14 should be blank in most self employment cases on Guam. Are you able to manually override this or make or zero on schedule 4? I'm not sure the online version allows this  

If you pick up the paper form at Rev & Tax they have 1040 Schedule 4, Other Taxes, line 57, 58 & 61 blacked out, which would stop or alert you not to fill in Line 14, but it's not as clear otherwise  

I had one client/friend that ended up filling out manually because couldn't get it to work (after they paid Turbotax ) 

If you find a workaround solution, please post it  Shouldn't have to pay for this frustration..

This is #1 question and frustration by friends and associates, and I have quit recommending Turbotax.  I see that OLT.com supports the 1040SS Form so may look into that going forward and see if fixes this problem  

It wouldn't be hard for TurboTax to fix this, but in the end, they really have no interest in making an user friendly product for US citizens in Territories. It would cost them money to fix. Same with Quickbooks, never respond  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies