turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mg3
Returning Member

filing federal return by mail

federal efile was rejected. should we include the 1099 SSA along with W2 and 1099R?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

What was the reject code?

When you ask about including the SSA-1099, does this mean that you intend to paperfile? In that case, you attach copies of any form that has your withholding on it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mg3
Returning Member

Rejected based on 2018 AGI for my spouse not being recognized.  I talked to IRS twice, got a transcript for double verification. AGI amount submitted was correct.  IRS recommended to file by mail.  My concern is :

Can I still file my CA state return by efile since TT has already charged me for it?

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can still Electronically File your California State Return even if your Federal return was rejected for the incorrect AGI. 

Please note, that this would not be true if your Federal Refund/Amount Due changed, as this would effect your State Return.  

mg3
Returning Member

Thank you.  should I wait until I received acceptance from my Federal tax return to efile my state.  Does TT tracks my status even if I file by mail?

Anonymous
Not applicable

if you provide us with the rejection message including the code, we may be able to help you correct the problem an file.  if you are due a refund efiling usually produces a refund in 2-3 weeks.  mailing results in a refund in 6-8 weeks after the IRS receives it

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to wait for your refund to file your state return.  No, TurboTax does not keep track of your status if you have to file a paper return.  However, you can check your refund status directly through the IRS using these links: Where’s My Refund on IRS.gov or the IRS mobile app, IRS2Go to check your status.

mg3
Returning Member

Let me be clear, I did efile both state and federal and they both came back rejected.  The state rejected due to Federal rejection.  can I send my federal by mail , wait for confirmation of acceptance , then efile my CA return thru TT since I already paid for it?

mg3
Returning Member

I e-filed thru TT.  I assumed that TT would receive the code since you helped me identify the issue which was :
IND-031-04: primary taxpayers AGI or self PIN from 2018 does not match.   I talked to your hotline thern talked to IRS directly. resubmitted same confirmed AGI , still didn't work. IRS recognized the issue and recommended I file my mail. I'm just concerned that I already paid for CA efiling thru TT and looking for esolution how to file my state tax., hopefully thru efiling. 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

No, if both of your returns were rejected, and you were unable to correct the matter in TurboTax, you should mail both your federal and state returns.  Your credit card is only charged when your return has been accepted.  

To file a paper return, go back through the File section, choosing to file a paper return for both your federal and state return.  The instructions on where to mail your returns will be printed out with the returns.

I am sorry you are having to go through all this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies