Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing an extension for another person

I have filed an extension for myself.  I also help my parents with their taxes.  How can I file a completely different return?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MollsBBU

TurboTax Online can only prepare and e-file one federal return (or extension) and up to five state returns per UserID. To file a return for someone else, you must create a new UserID for that person. You may create a new login (up to 5) tied to your same email address if you'd like. 

If you are using TurboTax Desktop, first save what you're currently working on by clicking File > Save As. Then, to start a new tax file, click File > New Tax Return.

To create a new account for TurboTax Online, please see this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574    

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MollsBBU

TurboTax Online can only prepare and e-file one federal return (or extension) and up to five state returns per UserID. To file a return for someone else, you must create a new UserID for that person. You may create a new login (up to 5) tied to your same email address if you'd like. 

If you are using TurboTax Desktop, first save what you're currently working on by clicking File > Save As. Then, to start a new tax file, click File > New Tax Return.

To create a new account for TurboTax Online, please see this TurboTax FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574    

mdmctigue

need to file extension for son but it keeps my information up and when I put his in it says id already taken.  Yes it is because he has a separate account & that's him!! How to do this??

@mdmctigue wrote:

need to file extension for son but it keeps my information up and when I put his in it says id already taken.  Yes it is because he has a separate account & that's him!! How to do this??

An extension for a 2021 tax return had to be filed no later than April 18, 2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies