Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing an amended return

I need to file an amended return for 2023. I filed by mail. I can not locate any button in my desktop software that allows me to amend a return. What am I doing wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Filing an amended return

Did you do the original return in the Desktop program?  You start by just opening your return as usual. Go up to File-Open.  You need to have the .taxyyyy file on your computer. 

Also you first need to check the filing status inside the program so it knows it was filed and accepted.  Open your return and go up to the top black menu bar first item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return and close it.  Close the program and reopen it.  

If you don't see a button for Need to Amend a Filed Return? on your home screen then you can get to it here. Go to:
Federal Taxes -or- Personal (for H&B)
Other Tax Situations
last section, Other Tax Forms
Amend A Return - Click the Start or Update button

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Filing an amended return

When you first start the desktop software, on the very first screen, before you open a tax return, the button to Amend a Filed Return is all the way at the bottom, on the left.

If you need further help, please tell us whether your are using TurboTax in Windows or on a Mac.

Filing an amended return

And, since your original return was filed by mail, you will need to mail your amended return.  Use a mailing service like certified mail to track it so you will know it was received by the IRS, since you will have a long wait for it to be processed.

Do not expect quick results from amending. It can take five months or more for the IRS to process an amended return.  

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies