Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing 1099-r with Form 1040-SR

I have the CD/download Premier Edition of Turbotax.  I've completed the return and want to e-file it. BUT I must submit the 1099-R I received from my pension plan for the RMD I received with the return.  This 1099-R shows the tax withholding from the distribution and therefore has to be filed with the return.   I was at the final turbotax screen to e-file with the warning that you can't make changes if you proceed.  I stopped because I don't know if I press this button how a copy of this  1099-R will be filed.  How does this work if I e-file?  I know I can print out the return, attach the 1099-R and do a mail filing.  But I would prefer to e-file if that is possible.  How would I handle this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You will enter the 1099-R into the software by hand if you cannot import the 1099-R from the payer.

Copy B of IRS form 1099-R is included with a paper-filed tax return, not an electronically filed tax return.  Retain your copies of the 1099-R with your other tax materials in case a tax authority has questions about your tax return at a later time.

The import of IRS form 1099-R or W-2 provides the same information to the IRS as the information that you type in.

At a later time, the IRS compares the information input into the tax return with the information supplied by the preparer of the 1099-R or W-2.  If there is a difference, 

• your refund will be delayed, or
  • the IRS will correct your tax return, or 
  • you will receive a notice from the IRS asking you to explain the differences.

@Lew72 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Did you enter the information from your 1099R into the software?    If you e-file you do not have to send anything in to the IRS.  It is all done electronically.  It is only if you file by mail that you would have to include a copy of the 1099R with the Form 1040.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I had to manually enter the information from the 1099-R.  I could not import it from the payor [who was not in the dropdown list that would permit it to be imported into the 1040.  Because it shows the money withheld for federal taxes, the instructions on turbotax preview states that Copy B of the 1099-R has to be filed with the return.  The instructions on the back of the 1099-R also say to file Copy B.  I understood from reading other turbotax materials that if I could have imported it, then it would be encryped and be part of the filing. If Copy B is required to be filed, I don't follow on how my mere entry of the information from it would satisfy the filing requirement.  I would have thought that I have to scan it or take a picture of it and upload it somehow.   I'm getting a refund and don't want to have a problem if I use e-filing. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You will enter the 1099-R into the software by hand if you cannot import the 1099-R from the payer.

Copy B of IRS form 1099-R is included with a paper-filed tax return, not an electronically filed tax return.  Retain your copies of the 1099-R with your other tax materials in case a tax authority has questions about your tax return at a later time.

The import of IRS form 1099-R or W-2 provides the same information to the IRS as the information that you type in.

At a later time, the IRS compares the information input into the tax return with the information supplied by the preparer of the 1099-R or W-2.  If there is a difference, 

• your refund will be delayed, or
  • the IRS will correct your tax return, or 
  • you will receive a notice from the IRS asking you to explain the differences.

@Lew72 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

All other items in your return being correctly entered:  It should be that TT will have created an electronic 1099-R with the information you provided.  If you ask to View > Forms, you should be able to see it listed as one of the forms and whether TT it is complete.  You can then edit it to see/correct entries in the form.  TT doesn't actually transmit the form, just the information in the form necessary for storage and retrieval in the IRS computers.

Thank you.  I saw everything in forms.

This info you've just provided here should be much more clearly stated in the TT process.  Lots of people have noted here in the Community that the IRS has later come back to them to mail in the 1099-R.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies