the_gab_

Filed by mail with check payment. Forgot to sign, write ssn on check, etc. Is it too late in tax season to wait for the IRS to send it back to me? Should I send another one?

JaimeG

If you sent the check in with the 1040V voucher you don't have to worry about the payment. The IRS will send you the unsigned 1040 and request that it be signed and returned immediately. Since you did send in a payment you will not be assessed a fee for Late Payment. It is possible that the IRS will issue a Late Filing Fee if the signed return is not postmarked by April 18, 2017

You should not send another Tax Return and payment. 

JaimeG

the_gab_

Thank you so much! I didn't send the voucher, I printed out the instructions for e-filing instead of filing by mail at first and then I realized my mistake later. So, no voucher, and I made out one of the checks to a different organization than the instructions say. Any further thoughts? I really appreciate it, this tax season has been particularly soul-sucking for me, and any shred of help is like the elixir of life haha.