Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fidelity 1099-B

Hello Community! I just imported my 1099-B from Fidelity and it reports sales from my employee stock purchase plan. I have imported these sales the last few years and the tax bill naturally rises because the sales post showing a zero dollar cost basis. Same happened this year. In past years, when I enter the cost basis for the stock, the tax bill lowers because it was not a 100% profit. This year (2023 tax year) the tax bill actually went up after entering the cost basis. I feel like I am not checking the right boxes, or missing something.

Can anyone shed some light? Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Fidelity 1099-B

One possibility is that you have an earned income credit that can decrease when your income decreases. If the decrease in the credit is larger than the decrease in your tax, your tax can increase even as your income decreases.  You can look at your Form 1040 line 27 to see if you have an earned income credit.

To view your form 1040 and schedule 1 to 3:

1. Choose Tax Tools from your left menu bar in TurboTax Online
  2. Choose Tools
  3. Choose View Tax Summary
  4. See the Preview my 1040 option in the left menu bar and click on it
  5. Choose the Back option in the left menu bar when you are done 

Also, you need to make sure you are entering the cost basis adjustment properly. Since you are dealing with company stock, you may need to increase the cost basis reported on Form 1099-B to compensate for ordinary income associated with the company stock reported on your W-2 form. It is often best to do that computation outside of TurboTax and simply enter the correct cost basis for each sale listed on your Form 1099-B. You will see an option for this when you enter the Form 1099-B in TurboTax:

When you are done entering your investment sales, make sure you review the investment summary screen to insure your gains or losses are property stated:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Fidelity 1099-B

Thank you for your help...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies