Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal taxes owed. How soon to pay ?

Hello,

I owe around 5K in federal taxes. I am trying to figure out how soon the taxes owed, should be paid back to IRS ? I specifically want to know if there is a difference between paying the tax today vs (let's say) April 10 (right before the formal April 15 deadline). Are there any interest/penalties in these situations ? Anything else that I should be worried about ?

TurboTax already estimated a $30 penalty for insufficient withholding.

Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Taxes owed on the 2023 federal tax return have to be paid on or before April 15, 2024.  Paying now or paying on the due date will have no affect on the amount of taxes owed and no other penalties will be applied if paid on or before the due date.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Taxes owed on the 2023 federal tax return have to be paid on or before April 15, 2024.  Paying now or paying on the due date will have no affect on the amount of taxes owed and no other penalties will be applied if paid on or before the due date.

Thank you.

So filing now and scheduling the direct debit on (let's say) April 10 will not incur any interest or penalties from IRS for the taxes owed ?
What about taxes owed to state (of IL) taxes in the same scenario?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It must be submitted and paid on or before April 15 of this year. Please view this IRS source to determine what the interest and penalty fee would be.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@asiingh wrote:

Thank you.

So filing now and scheduling the direct debit on (let's say) April 10 will not incur any interest or penalties from IRS for the taxes owed ?
What about taxes owed to state (of IL) taxes in the same scenario?

Correct.  The same holds true for state taxes owed.

And, Paying the 10th or before is smart too.

Computer systems get jammed just before the deadline (especially that weekend)....if any hangup occurs on getting the payment to go thru on the 15th, and it takes a day or 2 longer to get the payment started?...the IRS doesn't care who is at fault...late is late.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies