Federal filing joint and State filing seperate

sail13k

My husband and I filed federal taxes together and we have received a refund for that. However, when I was filing my state taxes separately, Turbotax asked to refile federal tax along with the state taxes as it would not allow to e-file only state taxes. I filed accordingly. I used TurboTax Premier 2019 cd version to file taxes. Now my federal taxes have been returned with the message that

"IND-508-01 - The Primary SSN in the Return Header must not be the same as the Spouse SSN on another return for the same tax year with [filing status Married filing jointly] or [filing status Married filing separately with the Spouse exemption claimed].
IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records."

If I check my filing details there is my primary SSN on the state e-filing form and my AGI. Federal taxes were filed with my husband's SSN as primary. Not sure whats going on

No you can not efile state returns when you file federal joint and state separate.  You have to mail the state returns.

Did you follow this article?  If you need to file a Joint federal and separate state returns

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-se...

Reading the FAQ it looks like you have to use 3 returns.  One to file the Joint return.  Then you each need another new return to fill out fake federal MFS returns to do your separate state returns.    

Texas Roger

You can't efile another federal return because you already efiled the married filing jointly tax return that you were included on. Since some states require the federal to be efiled and accepted before the state can be efiled, there doesn't seem to be any way for you to do this other than to print and mail your state return. 

See this Help: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-se...

sail13k

Thank you for the article. It looks like the rules have changed for TurboTax. As we followed the same procedure last year but I used the Online version.  So last year my federal taxes were rejected and a State tax refund was provided. I was fine with that as we had filed federal together and that was approved. I had filed state taxes for NC and SC, last year and this year too.

Or this rule to file via mail applies to the TurboTax Premier version only?

It applies to all versions and both Online and Desktop.  Don't know how you efiled State last year using online.  Maybe you print and mailed it?  It's been the same way for years.  

Maybe the refund you got was from Turbo Tax for using another account?  Are you sure the state returns got filed and you got the state refunds?

sail13k

Yeah. So last year my husband filed federal jointly using his online account and then I filed my returns using my online account. But this year we used the TurboTax premier CD version.

sail13k

I digged a bit deeper and now I realize that eventually I might have ended up mailing the returns. For my State returns it displays - “Return Status : Printed”. Thanks for your inputs. I hopefully will remember this now. Lol