turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Federal exemption allowances

I am a single working mom of 3 kids. Before the W4 changed I used to claim head of household with 2 allowances, however I have 3 kids.  The last couple years I’ve claimed $6000 for for my 3 children and though less taxes are taken from my paychecks my refund was significantly smaller. I would like to have slightly more taxes taken from my paycheck and increase my refund. Not sure how to do this with the new W4 employee withholding certificate form.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. 

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Federal exemption allowances

Hi, Nrthomas00:


There are many paths up this mountain. For me, the simplest is to just add the additional amount you want withheld, per paycheck, to box 4c of your W-4 and turn it in to your payroll department.  Here is a screenshot to show you what I mean.

4c photo.jpg

Cheer this post by selecting the thumbs up!



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies