Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

F1 visa to H1B visa , am i resident Alien?

I changed from F1 visa to H1B visa on September 2016 ,  am I resident Alien for the year 2017? 

I filed tax in Turbo tax  1040EZ form. Is this right thing that i applied as resident alien?

Or do I need to amend the Tax file and again File as resident alien?

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

F1 visa to H1B visa , am i resident Alien?

As a F-1 visa holder, you are considered as "exempt" meaning not counting days for five years starting from the year your first arrived in the United States.  After the five years period, you will start counting days by using the Substantial Presence Test SPT to see if you qualify to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes.

In your situation, if you fall into the above assumption, and you stay in the US mostly during 2017( see SPT), you are considered as a resident for tax purposes.  Therefore, by filing a Form 1040 with TurboTax is correct. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings