Solved: Extension request mistakenly filed AFTER tax alrea...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Extension request mistakenly filed AFTER tax already filed?

My newly hired accountant e-filed my 2018 IRS tax return on Apr 12. My old accountant who doesn't know I no longer want their service, just e-filed IRS extension for me on Apr 15, expecting me to use their service to file in the future.
Will this bring any trouble?
I don't know IRS system will accept any extension request when a tax return is already filed (maybe even the extension request is not allowed to be E-filed in this  case?). If it really accepts it, will this wrong extension invalidate previously filed return so I have to refile in the future?

If I receive my refund several weeks later, I can ensure IRS has disregarded the extension?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

@taxguyask wrote:

If it really accepts it, will this wrong extension invalidate previously filed return so I have to refile in the future?

That is doubtful and there is not much you can do at this point; you can't cancel an e-filed return nor cancel an e-filed extension.

Your return was most likely already accepted by the time the extension was e-filed, anyway.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

@taxguyask wrote:

If it really accepts it, will this wrong extension invalidate previously filed return so I have to refile in the future?

That is doubtful and there is not much you can do at this point; you can't cancel an e-filed return nor cancel an e-filed extension.

Your return was most likely already accepted by the time the extension was e-filed, anyway.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings