turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Extension deadlines for Hurricane Helene

I have had my tax return extended to October 15. I have been tremendously affected by the recent hurricane Helene. I read in the news that the deadline for people who have been affected by Helene will have their deadline postponed to May 1, 2025.

How does that work? Do we have to call in to inform the IRS or is it automatically applied to anyone who has a tax return extension?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

BUT...note that if you take more time to file, and are using the "Online" software now?

....that you will need to switch to the Desktop software for 2023 to file at a later time.

And when you do file later, you will need to print out your tax return and file by mail.  (No e-filing will be allowed if you file later, and don't forget to keep all your paperwork and tax forms needed to send in with the paper forms.  though that will be a chore for those who have already lost everything in their homes)

Also, for "Online" users, you might be able to get around the need to use the Desktop software later...IF..if you have your Online tax file fully prepared and paid for before 15 October (extension folks have probably already paid).....then at a later date you might be able to print out the forms from your Online account to mail in later without requiring the desktop software....but only if you have absolutely no changes to make later in your tax forms

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

6 Replies

BUT...note that if you take more time to file, and are using the "Online" software now?

....that you will need to switch to the Desktop software for 2023 to file at a later time.

And when you do file later, you will need to print out your tax return and file by mail.  (No e-filing will be allowed if you file later, and don't forget to keep all your paperwork and tax forms needed to send in with the paper forms.  though that will be a chore for those who have already lost everything in their homes)

Also, for "Online" users, you might be able to get around the need to use the Desktop software later...IF..if you have your Online tax file fully prepared and paid for before 15 October (extension folks have probably already paid).....then at a later date you might be able to print out the forms from your Online account to mail in later without requiring the desktop software....but only if you have absolutely no changes to make later in your tax forms

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I am using a downloaded desktop version. So, is the 05/01/2025 extension automatically applied?

Reason being my saved files in my computer has been damaged. Still trying to find a way to retrieve my saved information from it.

@beacon1977 wrote:

I am using a downloaded desktop version. So, is the 05/01/2025 extension automatically applied?

According to the IRS it is:

The IRS automatically provides filing and penalty relief to any taxpayer with an IRS address of record located in the disaster area. These taxpayers do not need to contact the agency to get this relief.

You need the file ending in .tax2023 to open in the Desktop program.   If you can access the old hard drive like taking it out and putting it in an external enclosure or taking it to a service, the tax files should be in the Document folder then in a Turbo Tax folder.  Otherwise you will have to start 2023 over.   

Oh and you would need the .tax2022 file to transfer into 2023.  Did you make a backup of 2022?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies