turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Explaining the removal of Form 8917 tuition and Fees Deduction on Amended Return

I want to preface the following by saying that this is my first time I had a filed for a return, so clearly I do not know what I am doing.  If I could be honest, I filed for the return because I was and am in need of aid during these trying times, and hoped too had received the golden state stimulus. 

I'm a non-filer given I had only made $45 income in 2020, therefore, being my first time filing, I didn't think I needed to provide this information on the 2020 return. The only thing I did provide, which I thought was going to make some difference was  Form 8917 Tuition and Fees Deduction.

In doing so, I was left with a negative AGI, meaning that I did not qualify for the golden state stimulus given that an income of $1-75,000 must have been made. You see, I was under the impression that you just had to make less than $75,000, not that you had to at least make $1 to qualify. That was my fault for not reading the information properly.  In any case, even providing the $45 income I made as an independent tutor (which I provided under business income) still gave me a negative AGI.

So my question is, when removing form 8917 (which will give me a positive AGI when its removed) what is the explanation I should I give for this change? The truth? That in providing this form in the original tax return, I mistakenly assumed that somehow I would qualify for the golden state stimulus for just having a 2020 return on file, but didn't? And that I am removing the form because it seems irrelevant to the return and gives me a negative AGI, hence not being able to qualify for the stimulus?

How do I go about this? I'd like your guys' thoughts. Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Explaining the removal of Form 8917 tuition and Fees Deduction on Amended Return

Amend your return by deleting the deduction. Your reason for amending is “Taxpayer elects not to claim Tuition and Fees deduction “.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Amend your return by deleting the deduction. Your reason for amending is “Taxpayer elects not to claim Tuition and Fees deduction “.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies