Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Excess Contribution message for my HSA account

I got another W2 regarding my employer's HSA contribution (including my contribution, too). I entered the amount under w2 details. Further, under the deduction tab, I selected my name for HSA, which is for my family,  and entered the 1099SA details. I did not add my contribution separately (I kept the personally made contribution field equal to $0). However, a message appeared and said that I have an excess contribution (the amount I have in my second w2). This is confusing me, and there is no way to get rid of that message. I checked the other "excess contribution" related post, but nothing helped.

Any help is appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Did you complete the HSA section to establish your eligibility for the HSA contribution?

If you did so, how much did TurboTax indicate that you were eligible to contribute and how much is shown with code W in box 12 of the W-2?

Did you have any excess HSA contribution carried in from 2022?

Yes, I almost completed the HSA section, and at the very end, I got this excess contribution message, which I mentioned earlier. In my W2, I have $3700 for HSA, so I entered that amount under W2 with code W. Later, in the HSA section, I added 1099SA details, which was about $3200, and HSA money I used only for medical purposes. This HSA account comes through my employer and is for my family. Further, I did not enter my contribution anywhere. The excess contribution message shows $3700. I do not have any HSA contribution carried in from 2022. 

dmertz
Level 15

Did you somehow indicate to TurboTax that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return?  Such individuals are not eligible to contribute to an HSA.  I suggest reviewing the Form 8889 itself.

I will check that form. However, in the HSA section, when it asked, "Did I inherit this HSA?" I said no because this is my account. I think I found the mistake that I made. The next question asked about the High-deductible health plan, and I said "No." It was my mistake. I had an HDHP through my health insurance last year. I just said "Yes" and proceed with the following question. Now, I do not get that excess contribution message.

Thank you so much for your support. I appreciate it.

dmertz
Level 15

Certainly indicating that you had no qualifying HDHP coverage would make TurboTax believe you were ineligible.  I'm glad that you found and corrected that entry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies