Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Etrade 1099 is missing

One of my Etrade 1099 is not available when I try to import it. I contact E*Trade and they told me to contact Turbotax. How do I import a 1099 when I don't see it on the list

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies

Etrade 1099 is missing

Your username and password for E*Trade might not cover both your original E*Trade account number and the new account number you were assigned back in May/June as a result of the Morgan Stanley merger.

In other words, this is more of an E*Trade/MS issue than TurboTax. They did issue more than one 1099-B (one prior to circa May/June and one after that time).

Etrade 1099 is missing

When I log into my Etrade account, I have all the 1099 forms in PDF but yet when I connect via Turbotax one is missing.  How do I import the 1099 as PDF (vs connected via my E*Trade account)

Etrade 1099 is missing

You cannot import the PDF into TurboTax (that function is not supported).

I would recommend that you contact E*Trade to see if they have any suggestions. I have a test copy of TurboTax and also an account with ET and all of the tax reporting forms are available for import on my test return.

Etrade 1099 is missing

I already contact them twice and they are unable to help me. They told me to import it from the PDF but can’t walk me through the exact steps since they do not have TurboTax 

Etrade 1099 is missing

@ccthealias wrote:

I already contact them twice and they are unable to help me. They told me to import it from the PDF but can’t walk me through the exact steps since they do not have TurboTax 

They probably are unaware that a tax reporting statement PDF import function is not supported by TurboTax. 

You may have to enter the 1099 manually (unfortunately).

Etrade 1099 is missing

I've contacted Morgan and they say it's probably your issue. 

Your reply to the user's problem didn't really track.

You must log onto the Morgan/Etrade for TT to get the forms. I'm unaware of any company that keeps multiple passwords available for users.  

I my case the passwords didn't change only the acct numbers and the post implementation file is missing.  Has any on the team reviewed the issue logs failed vendor data or upload rejections? 

There are a lot, not 1500, transactions to enter and the season hasn't really started  yet. Morgan has a lot of TT users and this will continue to become and issue for both organizations (we don't know if it is actually constrained to Morgan).  It's never 'more their problem than ours'.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Etrade 1099 is missing

If you are using TurboTax Online, try importing using a different browser.

See the following TurboTax Help articles for potential fixes:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Etrade 1099 is missing

@dcortese wrote:

I've contacted Morgan and they say it's probably your issue. 

No offense, but what did you expect? They're going to admit it's on their end and work feverishly to rectify it?

Of course, they're going to try to lay the blame on another party if possible but that other party is NOT the party that decided to split the tax year into two separate 1099-Bs, are they?

Furthermore, I already mentioned that the import worked for me so it doesn't appear to be a TurboTax issue.

Etrade 1099 is missing

CatinaT1

Thank you for the quick reply.  I apologize if I was unclear.  There is no TT file to download from ET/Morgan for one of my broker accounts.  TT offers all other tax filings to import.  All of the account tax filing PDF's are available on the ET/Morgan site.

ET/Morgan says 3 files uploaded, not our problem;  TT says in the post of my reply it's more their problem than ours.   

Sadly it is both of your problems.  There are number of posts about ET/Morgan forms incorrect, not available, or throwing errors. And it is very early in the season.  This will become a fire for both service departments if not identified and resolved.  Given each organization's reluctance to engage, April is coming. 

Is the issue confined to ET/Morgan?

Again, thanks for the opportunity

TurboTax user since late '80's, 

Etrade 1099 is missing

Tagteam,

I'm happy it worked for you.

Etrade 1099 is missing

@dcortese wrote:

Tagteam,

I'm happy it worked for you.

Yeah, I'm not bragging. I have several test returns as well as several brokerage accounts (including E*Trade/MS) and they have all been imported successfully, the point being that it is likely an issue with your account rather than a problem with the software.

With respect to E*Trade in particular, I can tell you that on the first attempt over a week ago I was only able to import one of the 1099-Bs. The other one was not available until a number of days later (which could be what is happening in your case).

Etrade 1099 is missing

Same issue here. In my case I have 2 E-Trade accounts.   For each account I received 2 separate 1099's -- one for the pre-merger account number and another for the post-merger account number, so a total of 4 separate 1099s.  I see all 4 when I log into E-Trade, but when trying to import into TurboTax only 3 of the 4 are imported. For some reason one of the "new" account numbers (post-merger) is not included in the import.

After multiple phone calls and attempts to import, I decided to just enter it manually.  

Etrade 1099 is missing

Any updates since last week on this issue?

I'm experiencing the same behavior: With one brokerage account that has two consolidated 1099s available online at E*Trade, data from only one of the two is available for import in TurboTax.

All forms from the first 1099 (issued 12/31/2023) show up on the "ready for import" list after entering my E*Trade credentials and these import correctly; no forms from the second consolidated 1099 (issued 2/19/2024, and which I've been able to access online since then) show up on the "ready for import" list.

This is a pretty significant gap; entering the information manually is impractical and shouldn't be required when TurboTax advertises import functionality.  Even worse, some individuals who don't pay attention may not notice that some information isn't imported, which could result in errors in their tax returns.

How is this issue being reviewed between Intuit and Morgan Stanley, and when can we expect it to be resolved?  This is likely holding back a significant number of users from finishing their returns and receiving tax refunds.

Etrade 1099 is missing

@ariel80 wrote:

Any updates since last week on this issue?

The answer to that question is, apparently, "No".

It does, however, appear to be evident that both companies are aware that an issue exists. So, in short, it's either going to get fixed or it isn't. Frankly, it doesn't seem as if it's broken in all instances since I, for one, have been able to import both 1099s (ET and MS) into a test return. 

Regardless, although you can hope for the best, you should have some sort of backup plan in the event it winds up not working for you and the deadline is approaching.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies