theshark32

Estate form 1041: Do I enter the cash distributed to beneficiaries on the 1041 even if the estate has a net operating loss carryover?

My brother passed away and was renting his home.  After the tenant's lease expired, we sold the home.  The estate final tax return (1041) has a net operating loss carryover that is passed to the beneficiaries on line 11D of the k-1.   

The house sale obviously generated cash.  Therefore, I distributed the cash to the beneficiaries.  Where should the cash distribution go on the estate's tax return? Or does it, as there is a net operating loss carryover?  

tagteam

Yes, you do not have to enter distributions of corpus.

tagteam

It appears as if you actually distributed corpus (trust principal) and that does not need to be entered on K-1s, but the total amount can be entered as a tier 2 distribution.

theshark32

You said that the distribution "can" be entered as a tier 2 distribution.  Does that mean I don't have to enter it on the 1041 tax return?  If I "have" to enter it, where does it go?

tagteam