Error on my W-2

drbob77

Error on my W-2

I have $0.62 excess Social Security taxes withheld on my W-2. Can I correct this error myself? Or do I have to actually get a W-2c?

Error on my W-2

Can you round the amount down or just leave off the cents?  How much is in box 3?  If it's that close just enter the max in box 4 $8,537.

drbob77

Error on my W-2

Box 3 says $755.15. By the 6.2% it says it should be $754.51. I didn't know if I could correct that myself and keep going.

macuser_22

Error on my W-2

@drbob77 wrote:

Seems that it would be a non-error since the IRS requires rounding to the nearest dollar and both numbers round to $755.

drbob77

Error on my W-2

I don't know that is what TurboTax said.

drbob77

Error on my W-2

I meant Box 3 said $12,169.50. Box 4 says $755.15.

macuser_22

Error on my W-2

Then box 4 on your W-2 is incorrect.  Ask your employer for a corrected W-2.  However, it will make no difference on your tax return  whatsoever, unless you had other employers and the total SS tax exceeded the maximum.