Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Error in transmission - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

So wait... how is the solution changing to a US phone number when some of us live overseas and don't have a US phone number?  What happened to last year when there were no issues with the actual phone number I have in the UK? 

kariotte

I am having the same problem filing from Belgium and have tried everything - using a US number, changing browsers, waiting 48 hours, clearing cookies, etc.

obarr84

This solved the issue for me as well.  Used a family member phone number.  

Radaz

Awesome, Thank you. 1.5 hours wasted trying Intuit's advice...and you guys had it sussed.  Thanks for saving at least the rest of my day. 🙂

This helped me e-file. Log out of TurboTax, close the browser and Restart computer. Log back in and was able to change the phone no. to US phone no. Also changed to the same US phone in "My Info" and then was able to e-file finally! Thank you

Going into the Intuit Account Manager > Sign In & Security then changing your phone number to a US based number totally works. I used my sister's number who is still stateside that I trust and can receive the confirmation code to verify. Good luck to everyone else experiencing any issues. 

Looks like Turbo Tax tries to send SMS to your registered phone number as in your intuit account. I live in India and my phone number starts with country code 91, which makes it 12 digits.  I changed that to US number (my friend's number) and the e-filing went through without any issue.   Please note, the phone number that you enter in your tax return can be different.

mmmm12

that worked for me

Here's how I resolved this issue.

i went to Intuit and updated my phone to U.S. based phone number (no need to verify)

I went back to turbotax and before I finish e-filing and transmission, I clicked "I want received status updates using phone number (recommended).

Thanks for the help.

It worked for me after editing and verifying a US number in the Intuit security profile!

Thanks 🙂

@Jham100changing the number to a US number doesn't work. I was *already* using a US number.

I was having the same problem ended up having to use a family members phone number.. but it finally went through!

Thank you all for this thread. It solved my problem, phew!

KYLE LEE, that was it!  I tried just changing phone number, but you have to select the box (against all intuition, so much for "Intuit", huh?) to send the tax returns to a bogus number (at least I hope it's bogus, someone maybe just got my tax returns because the got assigned a US number I used to own, thanks Intuit!!)

Intuit, this is shameful.  I will likely never use TurboTax again.  Do you actually hire developers to code for you, or monkeys swinging around keyboards?  To require a phone number when you don't use it, to require it to be a US phone number when you don't use it AND Americans do live overseas, and to refuse to send the tax returns because you can't copy it on an SMS to a phone number that you won't actually send (because we didn't check the box), is worse than amateur.  Even high school developers have more sense than this.

Seriously, dev staff, get fired.  Intuit, hire a new dev staff.  Period, full stop.

Shameful.

Check the format of the number. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies