Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Error in transmission - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

I and my wife Ana are US citizens retired in Panama and the only phones we have are Panamanian cell phones.  The preferred number is the one entered (and accepted) on the tax return I am trying to submit.  The standard Panama cell phone numbers are 11 digits so my number for contacting me should be dialed as follows:  [phone number removed]-2317  or you can contact me via WhatsApp with the same number.  Please tell me what I need to do to get my submission accepted through your (and the IRS's) system.  Please respond via my e-mail account:  [email address removed] with your suggestions/instructions for me to fix this problem.  Thank you, Harold Robins.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

You cannot enter an international phone number in the Mailing Address & Phone number section of the Personal Interview.  

The IRS asks for your phone number in case they have a question about your return (this is rare). They will not, however, call an international phone number. 

In order to complete and e-file your return, enter the phone number of a relative or friend in the U.S,, or a "dummy number" (800-555-1212). The  IRS will identify your entry as a placeholder number - if they have questions, they will mail them to you. 

kitocolon

I was having the same issue. What helped me resolve the issue was changing my turbotax phone number to a stateside number and changing my Intuit account phone number to the same stateside number.

vdaniels

Was having the same problem, now a year later than all these posts. Lived in AU during 2020 and just needed to file for my missing stimulus check, but my account's phone # was my AU mobile. So silly to have no way of finding out how to fix error without searching for quite a while. Fixed now!

arosu

Same problem with me, but I got into my Intuit account and the sign in & security tab I put an American phone number, because I had an international one, and that number was verified and then my taxes went through. 

Living in the UK...  same transmission issue as everyone else.   I use a relatives number for issues such as this because many US companies won't accept international phone numbers.   I have tried both her landline and her mobile phone numbers, neither of which have worked to resolve this transmission issue.  I wonder if the () around the area code are causing a problem but they cannot be removed.   turbo tax.. you can do better.   It's been over a year that people are having this issue..  what's up?

the error has nothing to do with turbo tax its with your intuit account so go to intuit login and log in and put in a us number and they will text you a code to verify the number once verified then go to turbo tax and efile at the end when you transmit your return it will ask do you want conformation bytext or email  select text its recomended and thats it  should work now. hope this helps everyone. i didnt think i was gonna ever get mine to work. 

the error has nothing to do with turbo tax its with your intuit account so go to intuit login and log in and put in a us number and they will text you a code to verify the number once verified then go to turbo tax and efile at the end when you transmit your return it will ask do you want conformation bytext or email  select text its recomended and thats it  should work now. hope this helps everyone. i didnt think i was gonna ever get mine to work. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies