Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

david_p_bonds
Returning Member

Error code: F1099r-502-02: Default Form(5), Agency-provided xpath (00000) - efiled 2023 Returns rejected by IRS

Hi,

My e-filed returns are being rejected by the IRS based on the error code above.  Strangely, all 1099R's (from 4 diffferent firms) are being rejected.  Despite multiple attempts at re-entering the 1099R info in the TurboTax return, the rejections continue. 

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  

Regards, David Bonds

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Error code: F1099r-502-02: Default Form(5), Agency-provided xpath (00000) - efiled 2023 Returns rejected by IRS

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the IRS error code you received - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/rejected-tax-return/e-file-reject-f1099r...

david_p_bonds
Returning Member

Thanks.  I read this page several times and followed the instructions.  Also, called TurboTax support.  Nothing worked.  Alas.

Then your only option is to print and mail the tax return.  Include all Form W-2 and 1099 which have taxes withheld with the mailed tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print and mail a tax return when using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for how to print and mail a tax return when using the TurboTax desktop editions for Windows - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/printers-printing/print-mail-return-turb...

david_p_bonds
Returning Member

Thanks. 

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of efiling. 

Obviously, will do that as a last resort.  But, just wondering if this is a widespread issue or some kind of error unique to my returns.  And again, weirdly, it rejected every 1099R.  I can understand a mis-match occurring with one 1099R, but not 5. 

Also wondering if I should just start the return from scratch.  I've been efiling with the same 1099R's for 3 years with no problem.  The values were transferred over from 2022 returns which were accepted with no issue.  Luckily, no tax is due, so I may let this ride for a month and try efiling once the rush is over.

Thanks

Well, you should try deleting the Form 1099-R that were transferred from the 2022 return to see if that corrects the problem and re-entering manually.  Especially since you have e-filed these same forms in prior years.  There may be some type of hidden character on the 2023 forms which is causing this problem when received by the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies