Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Employer address in another state

I work and lived in Yellowstone for 6mo in 2023. Wyoming doesnt have state taxes. All my paycheck stubs says Wyoming. My w2 says Colorado.  After entering my info it says I owe colorado $348. I did not work in CO. How do I go about this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Which state is your home state?  Were you temporarily in WY or actually living there with no home maintained in CO?

If you did not live at all or work at all in CO, then you would file a non resident return to claim the taxes they erroneously withheld if they withheld taxes. To do this you would enter $0 as your income and then leave the amount of taxes withheld as the amount actually withheld. 

If you did not live or work at all in CO, and they did not withhold taxes, then you would not file a CO return. 

If you did maintain a home in CO as your primary resident state and were only in WY temporarily for work, then you would be liable for taxes in CO.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I came from illinois. I lived and worked inside yellowstone national park from may to October. Longer than anywhere else this year. The companies home office is in colorado. 

Your saying I just don't file half my income for the year? Doesn't seem right. 

All my paychecks stubs say yellowstone national park.  The w2 says Greenwood colorado. I didn't work or live in colorado. Wyoming has no state taxes. 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You lived and worked in Wyoming.  You are paying taxes on the income that you earned on the federal return.  You don't have to pay state taxes to Wyoming.

You are a part year resident of Illinois.  You may end up paying some taxes to Illinois on the income you earned in Wyoming.  Maybe not.  Enter the dates that you lived there into the system and you'll find out.

You have absolutely no tax obligation to Colorado just because the office is there.

@gallagherk8585 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies