Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Efiled '23 return on 4/14/24. Rejected. Have notification that I had until 4/20 to mail paper copy. Got IRS penalty notice on 8/5. How can I prove that I mailed on time?

IRS says my return wasn't processed until May 13. They say they don't have a record of the postmark date. I didn't send certified mail so how do I prove that I mailed it on 4/16/24 within the grace period following a rejected efile.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Efiled '23 return on 4/14/24. Rejected. Have notification that I had until 4/20 to mail paper copy. Got IRS penalty notice on 8/5. How can I prove that I mailed on time?

If you did not use a tracking service from the US Post Office or from a private delivery service, such as FedEx or UPS, you personally will not have proof of filing.

The IRS is supposed to use the date stamp on the envelope applied by the US Post Office on a mailed return.

Contact the IRS and request a copy of the envelope they received for your mailed tax return.

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Without a postmark or a copy of a receipt from certified mail, you cannot prove when you mailed your tax return.   When you mailed the return did you pay your tax due?   How did you pay?  Did you enclose a check or money order?   Pay on the IRS site?   Is the IRS billing you for late filing penalties and/or interest on the amount of tax you had to pay?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You will also need a copy of the email for the rejected e-filed return showing the date it was rejected.  A copy of this email should have also been sent with the mailed tax return.  When speaking with the IRS agent tell them you have a copy of the rejected return with date it was rejected.

dmertz
Level 15

As xmasbaby0 suggests, if you underpaid for earlier quarters of the tax year or by April 15 you did not pay the balance due, you'll still owe a penalty and interest on the underpayment even though your tax return might be considered timely filed under the circumstances.  You can check your Tax Account Transcript to see when estimated tax payments and payment of the balance due were applied to your tax account:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies