turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MLA
Returning Member

Efile rejects by IRS - FDI_8615

My child has unearned income that requires Form 8615.

His tax return consisted of importing a 1099, and letting TurboTax fill out the forms.  All good!

I efiled his return, and it was rejected by the IRS with the message FDI_8615 - Line 7.

TurboTax directed me to reload the return, and follow instructions.  I opened the return, and there were no instructions, aside from telling me to 'fix the calculation error', then to  try to efile again.  I reran TurboTax's calculation check, and it gave the return a clean bill of health, as it had previous to my first attempt to efile.   I had entered no data in forms myself, nor recorded any financial information that was not directly imported on the 1099 from the broker.

This appears to be a problem with the TurboTax Forms for 8615?  Possibly the worksheet (which is the source of the number in Line 7 of 8615).

Does anyone have any advice / info as to how to deal with this?

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
tomw3
Returning Member

I have the exact same issue.  I deleted my 8615 forms and re-accomplished the form and review and TT produced the exact same form.  It seems we cannot trust the TT review that says "no errors found"!  Why did I pay for this program?

Same thing here. I also got in my message a note to update the 1040 product on or after March 19th and try again.  I'm guessing there is some patch they are pushing out tonight. What a drag.  

I received the same error message and am hoping the bug will be fixed on March 19. Otherwise, those choosing the pre-TCJA option (which is often more favorable tax-wise) may need to mail in their returns. What a drag!

See suggestion by @Anonymous here: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/can-t-efile-if-filing-8615-with-pre-tcja-rules/00/1290039

fhk111
Returning Member

Received update on 3/20/2020, but no change on federal and state amounts. Is it acceptable to refile?

agsell

Same problem here!  I have a calculation error, but when I click to revisit to fix the problem, it tells me to update on or after March 19th.  When I click Continue, it brings me back to the error page to revisit.  It's in a loop that I can't seem to fix or get out of.  

I am having the same issue--two of my children's federal returns were rejected for the 8615 Line 7 error.   Finding no answers on Turbotax site, I paid the extra money to get the Turbotax Live (live tax person supposed to help).  The live person remoted into my computer and concluded that it was a Turbotax computation glitch and advised that I return on March 19 b/c the glitch will be fixed.  So, I had to pay extra money to Turbotax to be told the error was on their end...SMH.  Better yet, when I returned to fix the tax return today (March 20), the software clearly has not been fixed b/c it is coming up with the same amount for the return--the amount that the Feds rejected.  

Same here for our son's return - Turbotax auto-updated today (20-Mar-2020). I went through the Smartcheck process without any real fixes. Was able to resubmit and e-file without any fees, but got another set of emails saying fed and state tax returns were rejected.

TomB1

Finally, someone connected with TurboTax that admits there is a problem. Unfortunately, it’s several other customers and not the Turbo Tax representatives. I too was rejected by the IRS with the message FDI_8615 – Line 7. Turbo Tax directed me to fix the problem but there were no instructions. I performed the calculation check and refiled Fed and State returns only to be rejected again. Spoke with a rep who wanted me to purchase a CPA consultation. I refused and she promised to transfer my call to a tax expert. After several minutes on hold, a recording came on which stated that I could purchase a CPA consultation for $70. Spent part of the last two days reading IRS publications and concluded that Turbo Tax has indeed calculated my tax on Form 8615 incorrectly. Tax code was changed 12/20/19 and IRS has to modify instructions accordingly. A draft of new 8615 instructions is available on the IRS website but it is not yet official and besides we must rely on Turbo Tax to modify their software to perform the tax calculation correctly. At least they could tell they're working on it. 

IRS

So I actually got a live person (Dawn) to help me after requesting phone contact support. She said this is an IRS issue where the IRS haven't synchronized with Intuit on the Form 8615 yet because the 2019 year form was released so late by the IRS. She said the IRS will not have this ready on their end until 05-APR-2020. So Dawn issued me two refunds for our son's CA and AZ state returns, and she recommended I print out and send physical copies.

But I also took the time to go through the IRS instructions and double-check against what TurboTax calculated on two sheets for Form 8615:

1) Line 7 Tax Computation Worksheet - OK, this is correct in TurboTax

2) Line 7 Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet - NOT OK, this is incorrect in TurboTax (line 8 and 15 have 3 options for values to use, and TT enters a small value which is all together incorrect), so the final tax calculation ends up being favorable to the IRS because the Line 7 tax amount ended up being $20 higher.

Bottom line (update 22-MAR-2020) - learned how to edit the QDCG Worksheet from @emtrebs50 and resubmit return that has been accepted by the IRS (see other posts here). Didn't go the route of H&R Block because we also need to file 1099-Q which would require purchasing H&R Premier package which I've already purchased through TurboTax.

hoosier

It would be nice if TT gave us this information instead of the form 8615 error telling us to upate TT and keeping us in an IRS rejection loop.    My daugher is using the free online filing, so we can't update ourselves like we could if we purchased the software.  Thanks so much for the update.  Will try again after April 5th.

tomw3
Returning Member

My first attempt to e-file my son's return w/ TT resulted in rejection for an 8615 error.   An important note:  I elected NOT to use pre-TCJA rules, though I did check and uncheck the box while completing the interview.  For my son's situation, using pre-JCTA rules resulted in a much higher tax burden, which is opposite to what the TT help implied.  Once the return was rejected, TT provided little help, instead recommended waiting until after 3/19 to update TT and file again.  There WAS a TT update posted but I learned via another thread on this forum that "Intuit has elected not to provide update release notes to the public in 2019"!!!  So there is no way to know what (if any) correction to TT was made.  Why no release notes Intuit?

I deleted the 8615 out of my return and re-accomplished the interview questions resulting in an identical form 8615: same tax, same refund, and "error free" response from TT program.  I made sure NOT to check the 'pre-JCTA' box in case that was a source of the problem. I e-filed the return again (hoping/assuming that TT fixed whatever problem was there), resulting in another rejection. 

I THEN used HR Block free online service to re-complete my son's taxes, resulting in the same return with an identical 8615.  After attempting to e-file his return a third time, (wait for it...), his return was accepted by the IRS within 1 hour!

Inability to trust "error check", lack of clear instructions to correct an IRS rejection, not releasing program update notes (??), trying to charge customers CPA fees to fix a program error...  why did I pay for this software?

That last solution says it all:  Use HR block or another program!

two things I did to resolve.
1) 8615 CDCG worksheet lines 8 and 15 need to be overridden with the answer, use the options for the questions to answer them.

2) 8615 L7 Worksheet (this form does get submitted to the Gov). Line 2, was pulling the wrong number from who knows were. Refer to form 8615 to override line two from either line 4 or 1 from 8615. This change is what end up making it all work.

I resubmitted and it WORKED!!!!

two things I did to resolve.

1)  8615 CDCG worksheet lines 8 and 15 need to be overridden with the answer, use the options for the questions to answer them.

2) 8615 L7 Worksheet (this form does get submitted to the Gov).  Line 2, was pulling the wrong number from who knows were. Refer to form 8615 to override line two from either line 4 or 1 from 8615.

I resubmitted and it WORKED!!!!

I ended up trying H&R Block per suggestion on this board.  H&R Block produced the exact same fed tax return numbers as Turbotax for all three of my children.  Nevertheless, I submitted their returns and within MINUTES they were accepted by the Feds.  What sucks was having to pay AGAIN for each return b/c H&R Block forces upgrade to Deluxe plan b/c my children's unearned income somehow triggers AMT even though their AMT is zero.  Go with H&R Block.  Turbotax failed miserably this year.  Hopefully, they refund everyone in our situation for their failure.    

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies