Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-Sign Authorization WARNING on cover sheet for state return! What does it mean?

The TurboTax cover sheet for the state return explicitly states this:

• "Sign and date E-File Signature Authorization within 1 day of acceptance"

We've never done that and, yet, the state has always processed the returns and refunds.  

Given that, why does TurboTax include that ORDER on the state cover sheet?

There's another thread on this that says it means to file *Federal* form 8897.  Yet, that's not mentioned on the cover sheet.  It also makes no sense as TurboTax puts the warning/order on the *state* cover sheet, not the federal one.  

A couple of people pointed out that TT should state, "for your records".  But, even better, the statement should be eliminated if it's not needed -- or changed to something that tells us what we are supposed to do!

Hope the gurus around here, both Intuit's and the community's, can clear this up for us!

Thanks.  Look forward to people's follow-ups!

P.S.  By the way, I checked past year's and see that same statement.  We didn't do it, so it must not be needed.  If that's the case, why the directive?

P.P.S.  On trying to post this, I received an error message claiming it included "invalid HTML", but there wasn't any HTML in it!  I even pasted it into word processing programs where a hyperlink would have been displayed and there weren't any!  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

E-Sign Authorization WARNING on cover sheet for state return! What does it mean?

What state?  What version of Turbotax are you using?

Form 8897 is used only when you are working with a paid tax preparer.  Turbotax is software to assist you to prepare your own return and there is no third-party preparer, Turbotax returns are "self-prepared."  You should not be asked to sign a federal form 8897 when using Turbotax. 

TurboTax Deluxe 2023; state doesn't matter.

The mention of Form 8897 arose in another thread on this topic -- see https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-e-filed-my-ny-return-but-when-i-printed-the-cov...

There, the "gurus" said that's what the message meant -- to fill out that form "for your records".

It makes no sense as that's a federal form.

In any event, TurboTax's cover sheet for my return says nothing about that form.  Instead, it cryptically states this:

• "Sign and date E-File Signature Authorization within 1 day of acceptance"

And that is all.  No directions, no clarification, no help!

Anyone have any ideas what TurboTax means by that?  Or, know whether it should even be there?

Is this an erroneous carryover message from earlier versions of TT?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is a form some states require you to keep for your files. You simply sign the form and keep a copy with your tax files. You don't do anything with it unless the state asks for this form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you would, please pass along two suggestions to the TT programmers that

1) your very explanation be included in the cover sheet — and that,

2) in the program itself, when we e-sign for the state return, that Form 8897 comes up with those same directions of filling it out and signing it and saving it for one's records.

As noted in my original post and follow-up, the current cryptic message on the cover sheet for the return explains none of that, does not even mention the form, and the program itself doesn't prompt users at all about any of this.  All of this leaves TT users baffled, and in the dark!

You all usually cover such critical steps clearly, with good directions, and the forms provided!

Thanks for your post and explanation!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies