Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stephenjhaynes
Returning Member

E-Filed and paid fees plus taxes by credit card, then the return was rejected - when I refile do I pay again?

I filed my return and paid taxes by credit card during the process.  I received a notification of a payment charged to US Treasury for the taxes.  Then my return was rejected as my daughter incorrectly marked that she cannot be claimed as a dependent and I also claimed her as a dependent.

She then went and amended her return and re-filed electronically via Turbo Tax.  However if I refile it seems to want me to pay the taxes again as I don't need to amend the return as it was not accepted. However the payment seemed to go through.  The US Treasury tax payment and the related cc fee from Intuit are both currently showing as pending on my Credit Card account.

Is that right?

Q. Once my daughters amended return is accepted can I just re-file the same return? (or do I need to submit an amended return? (it as rejected so was never processed I assume)

Q. Do I need to pay the taxes and e-filing fees again in the process (i.e. will they be refunded from the original submission)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

E-Filed and paid fees plus taxes by credit card, then the return was rejected - when I refile do I pay again?

Sorry but you will have to print and mail your return now even if she amends.  Once a ssn has been entered in the IRS you can't efile it again.  So you don't have to wait for her amended return to be processed.

stephenjhaynes
Returning Member

Thanks - but what do I do about the credit card tax payment? (Also - she was able to amend hers and re-file the amended return on e-File.  Is that new?)

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please print and mail and contact TurboTax Customer Support TurboTax team regarding the fees: Contact Us

Your 2022, 2021, or 2020 federal Form 1040-X amended return may be eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax. However, there is a chance your return cannot be electronically filed. If this happens, you'll need to print and mail your tax return.

For more information regarding amended returns please see the TurboTax FAQ below: 

Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies