turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-file rejected due to ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt on Form 1116

My federal e-file that I did yesterday (2/20/21) was rejected this morning (2/21/21) with the following message: "We encountered an issue processing your e-filed return. Please review the "ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt" on Form "1116" in the section "ForeignTaxCreditSource"."

All of my foreign taxes are on mutual funds held in a Vanguard brokerage account, so my numbers/data are coming from the Vanguard 1099-DIV. 

I have run through the Foreign Tax Credit flow again and can't find anything to change/correct; I am ending up with the exact same results as before. In particular the date paid section looks correct, with the "paid" box checked (rather than accrued) and a date of 12/31/2020.

The only thing I was slightly uncertain about is that yesterday when it did the final review it asked me for "Qual Div and LT Cap Gains" for the foreign tax credit worksheet (and said this had to be greater than $0). I entered the "QDI eligible foreign income" value from the "2020 Foreign Tax Paid" section of my 1099-DIV. I am not certain this correct but do not see what other value would be appropriate to enter here. However, I also don't see how this would be related to the error message above.

I am wondering if this is a bug in TurboTax, as I had a similar experience last year where it was rejected due to a bug on their end, and had to wait until they had fixed the issue in order for it to get accepted.

Has anyone else encountered this? Or can advise on how to resolve it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I tried it again today. TurboTax (Windows) had an update.

This time, when I tried to e-file, TurboTax itself is rejecting it saying

"We Won't Be Able to E-file Your Return

"It looks like you have a form or tax situation in your federal return that TurboTax doesn't support for e-filing. We do support it for filing by mail.

"Here are the details:

"You elected the simplified AMT Foreign Tax Credit limitation. Print the return and file by mail.

"Don't worry, even though you are unable to e-file your return, we'll still help you file your return by mail."

So, it seems TurboTax gave up (?) on the simplified AMT Foreign Tax Credit limitation.

I am really tempted to change this.

View solution in original post

link to IRS web site:

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/free-file-fillable-forms-help#knownsoftware

basically, figure it your ownself or file a paper copy;

otherwise we'll fix it for next year (maybe)

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

There are e-file issues with the Form 1116 in general.  Please sign up for notification here: Form 1116 reject error

Thank You for your patience. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, a solution for most of the reject issues has been found. I posted it about 2-3 weeks ago, you will find the discussion beginning on page 18.   I will repost it now.  The advice is for passive income, particularly from mutual funds.  

[Note from Foxbat:  This is a compilation of my prior weeks postings on the topic beginning on page 18.  If you are reading this, TT has likely not implemented corrections yet.]

I too had difficulties getting e-filed due to rejection related to foreign tax credit.  On the 8th attempt to file it went through.  I have been filing with TT for about two decades and always with a FTC.  To fix the issue, whatever it was, I did the following (I only have passive category income with foreign taxes [specifically, dividends]):

My advice first assumes you have run error check for your entire return and confirmed no other errors in foreign tax credit have been flagged by TT for resolution before you attempt to file. Look for error flags in the Forms (vs. Step-by-step) format.  Click the red “errors” stop sign symbol just under the blue TT banner, top left; if all is OK you will get a green checkmark and “Great News: Your return has no errors” at the bottom center of your screen.  Errors show up as flags next to the form with an error.   If you have done these checks and TT says all is fine and you attempt to file, but the IRS disagrees and rejects the filing and the TT rejection note says it is related to the Foreign Tax credit and to review your answers, that is when my advice kicks in.

I have only tried this with passive category income from mutual funds, if you have more exotic income (some of the other boxes) then this may not help. 

You are going to be looking for two major things:  Country of Origin and Dates of Payment.

Start with each of your 1099-DIVs that have foreign income.  It was easiest for me to locate these using the forms option (vs. step-by-step) in TT. 

• If you only have dividend income, in Box 7 go to line c and check the box for A.  That tells TT that while you may have multiple 1099-DIVs with foreign income they are all passive dividends.  If you have other types of income as well, they go by type into Boxes B or C. 
  • In the 1099-DIVs go to Box 8 so that both the imported and input spaces say RIC. RIC is the designation for foreign mutual fund dividends from potentially multiple countries. If one was left as "various" or blank, I got a reject.   Select "RIC" from the drop-down menu under countries [scroll up, not down, to find RIC] in BOTH locations in Box 8 that asks for country source.  Check again that BOTH blanks for foreign country are showing RIC, that has caught a number of us.  
  • In Box 8 there as a box to be checked if the foreign tax is from a mutual fund.  If so (true for most of us), check this box.

Form 1116. 

• First check that you have identified the nature of income in the box before Part I.  The advice is only applies to passive category income, specifically mutual funds with foreign dividends. For this type of income, the box on line c is checked.

• Part I:  Line i.  If you have the countries identified in your 1099-DIVs as RIC that should carry over.  If not, check you 1099-DIVs again to make sure they are showing RIC.  If a 1099-DIV Box 8 was left as "various" or blank, I got a reject from the IRS when attempting to efile. 

• All of your passive category income (dividends) should show up in Foreign Country Column “A” as “RIC”.  If not, go back to your 1099-DIVs to select “A” in Box 7 line c so you do not have multiple Forms 1116 for one type of income.

• Part II. 
    1. Line (j) is normally paid.
    2. Line (l) Date paid or accrued.  Again, do not use "Various" or leave blank.  Use an actual date in mm/dd/yyyy format (I used 12/31/2020), as long as it is not “various” it seems to work.  I did not try a non-2020 date.  If I left the line as “various” or blank, I got a reject.

Look for error flags in the Forms format again as above.  If all is fine and the rest of your return shows ready to fine, complete your filing.  While TT may be fine with what you entered, the IRS may still not like it and reject it and TT will identify the reason for rejection as “e-file rejected due to Foreign Taxes Paid or Accrued”.  If so, go back to the start of these suggestions (yet again) and review for gaps/omissions again.  I found that until I had all of the above lined up the return would reject.  It took seven errors, but finally figured out when all the various had been eliminated completely that is when the filing was accepted on the eighth try.

Other tips if you still receive reject notices: 

(1)  Make sure there isn't some bit of income lurking out there as foreign on a 1099.  You can do this by comparing the amount of foreign dividends total from each of your 1099-DIVs to the total showing in the Form 1116. 

(2) Confirm the Form 1116 itself does not have any "various" or blanks for dates where you have numeric entries.  If it does, then go back to your 1099-DIVs to identify where the entry is coming from and make the correction.

(3)  Checked your prior year Form 1116 against this year to assure the non-numeric items were consistent between the two. 

(4)  Most people use the Simplified AMT option.  Changing the option requires, I think, IRS consent and can cause problems, so it is something you do not do casually.

Yes, it is a pain to do all the detail checking.  It's a detail check odyssey or mailing the return choice.  Hopefully you get to success much quicker than I did.  Hope this helps

504 Replies

I have encountered the same issue -- my return was rejected with the same message.  I also have a Vanguard account and entered the amounts from the 1099-DIV.  I wasn't asked in the final review for "Qual Div and LT Cap Gains" -- the entry in Form 1116, Part I, line 1h.  But this is simply carried over from the entry in Box 1b from the 1099-DIV and showed up in my Form 1116.  After the rejection, TurboTax did tell me to go back to the section on "Deductions and Credits" and re-answer the questions for Foreign Taxes which I did.  I did the review again and TurboTax said all was fine, so I e-filed again.  And again it was rejected.  So, I deleted my entries for the International Stock fund and re-entered them.  Did the review again -- all was fine and e-filed again.  And once again it was rejected.  

It appears as if this is a bug in TurboTax and I guess I'll have to wait until they fix it.

@Fossil Thanks for sharing your experience; I appreciate the confirmation that it is not unique to me and thus definitely appears to be an issue on their end.

Same issue. 100% foreign salary. It is the form. ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt refers to the Date. I found this on IRS, but have not figured out how to use this to work around the issue:

Problem on 2020 schema, last updated Jan 21, 2021: 

Form 1116, Part II, Columns lA, lB, lC choice for ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt or ForeignTaxSpecialTypeCd, has changed to min=1 / max=1 making them a required choice. Only certain enumerations can be entered. 

Temp Solution:

If selecting the choice of ‘ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt’, then enter a random date and attach a binary attachment explaining the correct literal that should have been entered. If selecting the choice of ‘ForeignTaxSpecialTypeCd’, then enter "1099 TAX" or "909 TAX" and attach a binary attachment explaining the correct literal that should have been entered.  

steve200
Returning Member

I have the same problem and haven't figured a way around it.

I had the same problem.  I made some changes based on these comments and I called TurboTax.  They had no idea why there was a problem.  I resubmitted and it was rejected in 3 minutes.

Looking for a solution.

I have the same issue, shouldn't turbo tax fix their issue.  I am forced to put to numbers in the box to clear the error with turbotax then when turbo tax says I am good to go the return gets rejected.  I am also 100% salary.

Based on a somewhat limited guess on how their forms work. The IRS may have a problem, but the solution can only be done by turbotax. We are limited by the turbotax form to entering a proper date for one or all three entries (1116 Comp Wks, Part II, Date column).   I've tried submitting with a variety of dates (for Country A and for Countries A,B,C).   No luck.  

The solution listed suggests a value of '1' is required, we cannot enter that.   TurboTax development team needs to step in fix this!

For what it's worth, I called TurboTax this morning and the representative had me go through the review once again; there were no errors; and I e-filed.  It was rejected once again within 5 minutes.  She said I could file by mail.  I'm not sure how filing by mail will help if there is some kind of problem.  It is not clear if this is an IRS issue or a TurboTax problem, but I hope that this gets addressed soon.

Same problem here.  I've just spent an hour going thru this and even deleting it to redo.  No errors on the Turbo Tax error check, but still rejected by the IRS for that same reason.  Neve had a problem in previous years with this, and considering so many other are having the same problem, there has to be a bug somewhere.

I'd rather not have to 'just file by mail' as Turbo Tax has stated as an alternative since my return is very large.  I very much hope there is a fix for this soon.

Last night I was able find somebody in support that understood the "big" issue here. It is not about finding my error or even how my taxes can get filed on paper. The real issue is that everyone e-filing a 1116 form will hit this error.... which could be 1000s or more.  Spending an hour on the phone and telling then to not e-file will be a huge drain on their resources and make customers "dissatisfied".  Many of us have larger returns and live in foreign countries and really appreciate e-filing.

There is a case open to fix their problem with the form. They added my email to the notification list for this bug fix. If more people complain and get added to the list then the priority may increase. 

My current suspicion: IRS changed the "schema" (formal electronic format) on form 1116 (specifically the Date in section II) and introduced an issue. It does not appear that the IRS will change this for 2020 because they published a work-around for companies that submit electronic forms. Turbotax has not implemented this work-around. 

@olsonep Thank you for the update and for spending the time on the phone with support. I am glad to hear that they are finally acknowledging it as a bug on their end.

Do you know if there is an easy way for others of us with the issue to get on the notification list for it (like emailing somewhere with a certain subject line)? (Ideally we wouldn't each have to spend on hour on the phone just to indicate to them that there is a lot of interest and to get notified when it's fixed...)

I received an E-file rejection "/Return/ReturnData/IRS1116/ForeignTaxCreditSource/USTaxWithheldOnDividendAmt - Data in the return is missing or invalid. Please double check your entries."

Have tried different things but every time it gets rejected.

Will call Turbo Tax to get my email on the list for notification when they correct the form.

I really don't want to wait to file my return so I may just go ahead and file without the Foreign Tax Credit and then file an amended return later after the update.

Same issue for me - form matches up completely with last year, passes all TurboTax checks, but was rejected with that error. Rechecked and resubmitted, rejected again within minutes.

Here's hoping TurboTax fixes it soon!

I believe the internal case number is 11556 - it can be found searching for ForeignTaxesPaidOrAccruedDt  on their internal system.  (or 11556 is some work-related data, It was late and there are a dozen posit notes with numbers)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies