turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

liamone5
Returning Member

Dual-Status Return - Year I left the US, Filing 1040NR Return + 1040 Statement, What should I put on the statement?

I left the US on July 1 2018 back to Canada (my home country), I had been in the US since Jan 2015 on TN Visa. For 2018 I am declaring dual-status, filing 1040NR as Return + 1040 as Statement (I was a resident alien Jan1-Jul1 2018, and non-resident alien Jul1-Dec31 2018).

I'm confused what I need to put on the 1040. I already reported all my US income and taxes on 1040NR (My US employment income was Jan1-Jul1 2018, I had no other income from outside sources during this period). Do I basically duplicate what I put on 1040NR and put it on 1040??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Dual-Status Return - Year I left the US, Filing 1040NR Return + 1040 Statement, What should I put on the statement?

You do NOT file a 1040 & a 1040NR in the same time period in a tax year.
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Because you left the country ( cancelled your visa ) in the middle of the  year  you need the form 1040 to cover the  world income during the "resident period" and attache the 1040-NR for any US sourced / connected income during the "Non-Resident" period -- thus  1. avoiding a short tax  year and 2. protecting any non US sourced/connected income from US taxes.  In your case you really could have just used the 1040  ( especially if you met with the INS  and got a sailing permit, thus proving that you are no longer a resident alien ) but it may be safer to file the 1040-NR ( even if all zeroes  for income ) .  Note that you would need to mail in the two returns  ( generally stapled together) and note on the 1040 across the top "DUAL STATUS TAXPAYER "

liamone5
Returning Member

Thanks a lot!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies