Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dual status alien - Forms 1040/1040NR

Dear Team,

When filing as a dual-status alien, I am to write this term, "DUAL STATUS ALIEN" at the top of the form 1040. In doing so and in conjunction, am I obligated to write "DUAL STATUS STATEMENT" on the top of the form 1040NR, or are there instances whereby I would not write on the top of this form (I ended the year in the US)?

Many thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends on which part of the year you were a resident and non-resident because there are two different set of instructions in IRS reference source that you provided in one of your posts. If you are a resident alien at the end of the year, you will write  Dual-Status Return" across the top of the 1040 return and Dual-Status Statement across the 1040 NR.. 

If you are a non-resident at the end of the year, the opposite is true. You will write Dual-Status Return across the 1040 NR and  Dual-Status Statement across the 1040.

Let me know if this helps!!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You should print "Dual Status Statement" on the top of Form 1040.  You do not print that on the 1040NR.  Where you ended the year doesn't matter.  

@DavidD66  thank you for your prompt response.

I have taken a look at the IRS site under "Taxation of Dual Status Aliens" (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxation-of-dual-status-aliens) and it appears to state otherwise, in that "DUAL STATUS RETURN" is written on the top of the 1040, and "DUAL STATUS STATEMENT" on the top of 1040NR. I am sure I am misreading, however, may you kindly confirm to ensure accuracy please?

Thanks again.

Hi @DavidD66  . Thank you once again for all your support in this matter. Your guidance is to type "DUAL STATUS STATEMENT" on the top of the 1040NR. I contacted two colleagues of yours, one of whom stated that "DUAL STATUS ALIEN" is to be included on the top of the 1040 form only, while the other stated that only "DUAL STATUS" is to be written on the top both forms. The IRS website provides a different answer.

May you kindly provide a definitive answer please?

Many thanks.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends on which part of the year you were a resident and non-resident because there are two different set of instructions in IRS reference source that you provided in one of your posts. If you are a resident alien at the end of the year, you will write  Dual-Status Return" across the top of the 1040 return and Dual-Status Statement across the 1040 NR.. 

If you are a non-resident at the end of the year, the opposite is true. You will write Dual-Status Return across the 1040 NR and  Dual-Status Statement across the 1040.

Let me know if this helps!!

Thank you, @DaveF1006 . I will take on your advice and do the needy, and thank you ever so much for your time and clarity.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies