Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hakj

download on a second computer

I installed TurboTax from the CD on my old computer, which I no longer use due to virus concerns.  I want to complete my taxes on my new computer which does not have a CD reader.  When I try to download the software using the license code, I get an error message that says I should get the software installation file from the Downloads folder of the old computer.   But since I installed directly from the CD onto the old computer, I don't have a copy of the software installation file on my old computer.  I never generated an Account on the old computer either.  How can I fix this?  If I bought an external CD reader for my new computer, would I be allowed to install Tubo Tax, or would I get another error message?  I don't want to pay for something that isn't going to work.  Or, if I were to purchase a new copy of Turbo Tax, would it allow me to complete my taxes, or would it say that I have to use the old computer?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Does your old computer still work?  

Even though you can install it 5 times, it seems you can only use the CD 1 time unless you install it on another computer using the other operating system like Mac.  And if you installed from the CD it seems you can not download it from online.  You can't do both CD and download.   See the info on this FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

Or try copying the CD to a usb flash drive.  See SteamTrains post here

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/why-can-t-i-install-turbotax-on-my-laptop-via-dow...

Or you might have to call in and get a new License Code.   Did you start your return?  If you do get it installed on the new computer you need to copy the file ending in .tax2022 to the new computer.

Then After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

@hakj suggest creating an account and then calling TT and ask them to download a copy for you (since you have the license code)

While I receive the CD each year out of habit, I download the software from their website.  

if you are a Advantage Member (free of charge), they will provide a copy of the software in your account - not  many have CD readers anymore.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies