turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DON'T DEFAULT TO THE NEW STANDARD DEDUCTION!

For various reasons this year was a very labor intensive year for entering in my tax information. We had a lot of forms and manual calculations in order to determine what amount to enter into different sections.  After all of that work. TurboTax recommended that I take the the standard $24,000 deduction form my wife and I - filing jointly - instead of the itemized deductions. In this year in which so many people are reporting that their refunds are lower, I noticed my refund was considerable lower than in the past, but I understood why. I almost just accepted the recommendation from TurboTax and moved on. However, I played with it and realized this was very bad advice! Under the standard deduction, my federal return was (rounding) $1,300 and my state return was $200. I played with the that deduction and chose to itemize my deductions instead just to see the difference.  My federal tax return dropped to about $900 (seems bad, right) but my state return increased to $900. I picked up $300 in total by choosing the other method. TurboTax shouldn't recommend a deduction. They should give us you a screen that more encourages you to more easily play with a "what if" scenario. Have a screen with a toggle that say "Click here to see what happens if you take the standard dedcution" and "Click here to see what happens when you itemize your deductions. Instead, I got a screen saying "TurboTax recommends you use the standard deduction of $24,000." To change that methodology requires you to click on several boxes in order to see what happens.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

DON'T DEFAULT TO THE NEW STANDARD DEDUCTION!

I would recommend that you review the state return. Generally states just take the itemized or standard deduction for their starting point in deductions. If one is higher then it provides more deduction on the state return. Some states are weird though and require you to input amounts that are not deducted for federal purposes. Make sure that the state is calculating correctly before choosing the lower deduction on federal.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies