Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the refund total remain the same or is that shown before taxes are taken out

Like will I get what it shows or will money be taken before I get it
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Does the refund total remain the same or is that shown before taxes are taken out

A tax refund means you do not have taxes owed on the current year tax return.

If you have back taxes owed from a prior tax year the IRS or your State can seize the current year tax refund and apply that to the back taxes owed.

Your Form 1040 shows the refund  on line 35a that you use on the the IRS refund site.  That is your federal refund.  But if you are paying for using TurboTax from your refund instead of using a credit card or debit card to pay before you e-file, you have some "math" to do-----your TurboTax fees and the "refund processing fee" of $40 ($45 in CA) will be deducted from your federal refund.  You will not receive the full amount you see on line 35a.

What is Refund Processing Service?

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

based on your return entries, that's in theory what you should get back. what you actually get back can be more or less.

reasons: 

1) errors or omissions from your return

2) offsets in effect

3)you got an advance or elected to have your Turbotax fees paid through your refund

also

while Turbotax gives a refund date of 21 days from acceptance that's based on the IRS average. you can get it sooner or later. If you seem it's taking too long don't bother posting in this forum. There's nothing that we can do except tell you to call the iRS. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies