Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DOES THE EMPLOYER SEND A 1099 MISC TO THE irs?

I run a business and generated 1099 Misc for some independent contractors this year. Do I need to give the IRS a copy? How do I do that on the CD version of Home and Business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Yes, employers are responsible for preparing and filing Form 1099-MISC with the IRS. 

To e-file them through TurboTax Home & Biz (Windows) you would need to prepare them through Quick Employer Forms (QEF).

How do I do that on the CD version of Home and Business? In Turbotax Home & Business, after you start new return choose option prepare W2/1099 then choose online/desktop to create W2/1099. If you choose online, it will launch QEF which is free online application to create W2/1099 forms for your employees and e file them. In QEF, you can create, print and efile these forms. 

If you have already used QEF to prepare those Form 1099-MISCs, you can log-in to e-file.

If you prepared them manually, see General Instructions for Certain Information Returns (Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W-2G) (HTML) for filing instructions.

I've attached sample screens to help you know what to look for. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

Yes, employers are responsible for preparing and filing Form 1099-MISC with the IRS. 

To e-file them through TurboTax Home & Biz (Windows) you would need to prepare them through Quick Employer Forms (QEF).

How do I do that on the CD version of Home and Business? In Turbotax Home & Business, after you start new return choose option prepare W2/1099 then choose online/desktop to create W2/1099. If you choose online, it will launch QEF which is free online application to create W2/1099 forms for your employees and e file them. In QEF, you can create, print and efile these forms. 

If you have already used QEF to prepare those Form 1099-MISCs, you can log-in to e-file.

If you prepared them manually, see General Instructions for Certain Information Returns (Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W-2G) (HTML) for filing instructions.

I've attached sample screens to help you know what to look for. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies