briancarpen

DOES THE EMPLOYER SEND A 1099 MISC TO THE irs?

I run a business and generated 1099 Misc for some independent contractors this year. Do I need to give the IRS a copy? How do I do that on the CD version of Home and Business?

ToddL

Yes, employers are responsible for preparing and filing Form 1099-MISC with the IRS. 

To e-file them through TurboTax Home & Biz (Windows) you would need to prepare them through Quick Employer Forms (QEF).

How do I do that on the CD version of Home and Business? In Turbotax Home & Business, after you start new return choose option prepare W2/1099 then choose online/desktop to create W2/1099. If you choose online, it will launch QEF which is free online application to create W2/1099 forms for your employees and e file them. In QEF, you can create, print and efile these forms. 

If you have already used QEF to prepare those Form 1099-MISCs, you can log-in to e-file.

If you prepared them manually, see General Instructions for Certain Information Returns (Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, and W-2G) (HTML) for filing instructions.

I've attached sample screens to help you know what to look for. 

ToddL