ggcp

Does my minor child (17 yo) have to file a state tax return in Pennsylvania for $5,500 in income earned (W2) in 2018?

My daughter is 17 yo. I claimed her as a dependent on my federal and state return. She worked a part-time in 2018 where she earned $5,500, as shown in her W2. 

re2boys

Any resident or a non-resident with PA source income over $33 is required to file a PA state income tax return. She  would also be required to file a local earned income tax return with the municipality that she lives in.   TurboTax does not support the preparation of PA local returns.  See:  https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/281/~/who-must-file-a-personal-income-tax-re...

She would not be required to file a federal return, but if any federal withholding taken from her wages (box 2 of W2), she should file to obtain a refund of taxes.  Be sure she marks that she can be claimed by another person as a dependent.

re2boys

MinhT

She is not required to file a federal or state return. However, if she had federal and/or state tax withheld on her W-2, she can file a federal and state returns to claim a refund of withheld taxes. She has to indicate in the My Info section that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.