Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ggcp

Does my minor child (17 yo) have to file a state tax return in Pennsylvania for $5,500 in income earned (W2) in 2018?

My daughter is 17 yo. I claimed her as a dependent on my federal and state return. She worked a part-time in 2018 where she earned $5,500, as shown in her W2. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does my minor child (17 yo) have to file a state tax return in Pennsylvania for $5,500 in income earned (W2) in 2018?

Any resident or a non-resident with PA source income over $33 is required to file a PA state income tax return. She  would also be required to file a local earned income tax return with the municipality that she lives in.   TurboTax does not support the preparation of PA local returns.  See:  https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/281/~/who-must-file-a-personal-income-tax-re...

She would not be required to file a federal return, but if any federal withholding taken from her wages (box 2 of W2), she should file to obtain a refund of taxes.  Be sure she marks that she can be claimed by another person as a dependent.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Any resident or a non-resident with PA source income over $33 is required to file a PA state income tax return. She  would also be required to file a local earned income tax return with the municipality that she lives in.   TurboTax does not support the preparation of PA local returns.  See:  https://revenue-pa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/281/~/who-must-file-a-personal-income-tax-re...

She would not be required to file a federal return, but if any federal withholding taken from her wages (box 2 of W2), she should file to obtain a refund of taxes.  Be sure she marks that she can be claimed by another person as a dependent.
MinhT
Expert Alumni

She is not required to file a federal or state return. However, if she had federal and/or state tax withheld on her W-2, she can file a federal and state returns to claim a refund of withheld taxes. She has to indicate in the My Info section that she can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies