marquez7780

Does my employer Matching of 401k plan shows in Box 12 D on my W2?

So My employer Match my Contribution to my 401k plan. I paid $5,000.00 and my employer Paid $2,500.00. So On box 12 in W2 with letter D. Should it Show only My contribution $ 5,000.00 or it gonna be the total $ 7,500.00. 

dmertz

No, the employer matching contribution should not appear in box 12 of your W-2.  In your example, it should show with code D only the $5,000 of elective deferral you made from your pay.  The amount reported with code D is also excluded by your employer from the amount your employer reports in box 1 of your W-2.

marquez7780

Thank you! so it's different than HSA? because my employer only contribute to my HSA and it shows on box 12 W. I did not  contribute  any dollar to my HSA account and still appear in box 12 W. I know HSA will not be included in BOX 1 and 5.
dmertz

HSA reporting is different.  HSA contributions made by your employer under a cafeteria plan apply toward your overall HSA contribution limit, so they need to be reported to you and the IRS and must appear on Form 8889 of your tax return (which TurboTax does for you upon entry of the code W amount on TurboTax's W-2 form).  On the other hand, permissible employer matching contributions to your 401(k) are not reportable anywhere on your tax return, so they are not be included in box 12 of your W-2.  Only your elective deferrals form your pay appear in box 12 with code D so that the IRS knows why your box 1 amount differs from your box 5 amount and so that you can claim a Retirement Savings Contributions Credit on Form 8880 of your tax return if you qualify.
sshusain

Sorry I wasted my time. If it takes so long as to be able to file a tax return, I hate my time wasted.

macuser_22

@sshusain wrote:

Your post makes no sense and has nothing to do with the topic of this thread - do you have a real question?   If so then please start a new thread of your own and ask a complete question.