Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anyone know how the NYS HWB goes into this years Turbo Tax? This was the bonus paid to NY Health care workers. It's in box 14, but I don't know what to enter it as.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Does anyone know how the NYS HWB goes into this years Turbo Tax? This was the bonus paid to NY Health care workers. It's in box 14, but I don't know what to enter it as.

You may have to contact Support for your question.

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

Your NYS HSB amount will be reflected in Box 1 of your W-2.  Enter the information on your form W-2 as normal.  The bonus received is taxable for Federal purposes but not for NYS purposes.  To correctly report the bonus and get the deduction, go to your NYS return entry screens and then enter the amount under Wage and retirement adjustments.  A screenshot of the entry screen to TurboTax Online shows below:

Once entered, the amount of the bonus will show as a deduction from income for NYS taxable income.

Health Care Worker Bonus Program

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You answered the wrong question HWB is Health Worker Bonus, shown on Box 14 ... We are forced to select a category - I finally found out that NY PFL should be Other deductible state or local tax ... Now I am in the same position, not knowing how to show this State bonus on my taxes ...

Sorry, you just used the wrong initials ... looks like you did enter it but still not sure how to address the Box 14 issue

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The box 14 category for the NY Healthcare Worker Bonus is "Other not classified" as it taxable at the federal level. 

You will then exclude it from NY state tax in the NY state interview "Adjustments to income"  as noted by @JosephS1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PJ808

Go to the IT225 (New York State Subtraction Section) New York State Modification form.  Scroll down and you will find Health Workers Bonus form #S143.  Enter the amount and it will automatically deduct it from your earnings and either reduce amount owed or increase refund by approx.  $150.00

Beware that TurboTax may state that they don't support this form and you will have to pay extra to upgrade the software in order to enter the information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies