Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does anybody have experience with Census Bureau sending W2-C form basically saying they didn't withhold enough from my October 2020 check?

My understanding is they want me to redo my taxes for a $3.10 mistake the Government made them do. That was two years ago. Suggestions?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Does anybody have experience with Census Bureau sending W2-C form basically saying they didn't withhold enough from my October 2020 check?

Which box of the W-2 did they change? Is the corrected amount $3.10 higher or $3.10 lower than the original amount?

My suggestion is to ignore it. I would not file an amended return for a $3 difference, no matter which box it is. (I really only asked which box out of curiosity.) The IRS doesn't care about a $3 difference.

A common reason for a W-2c for 2020 is to increase the amount of Social Security tax withheld in box 4, because some Social Security tax was deferred in 2020. If that's what the change is, it doesn't affect your income tax except in one uncommon situation. And even if that uncommon situation applies, the difference is still only $3. Again, I would ignore it.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@fam23rog06 ,  for such nominal amounts , I would suggest holding still -- do nothing.  IRS will get the same paperwork and if they choose will issue you a notice of unreported income and/or error in tax computation. Then when you get the notice, just agree with them and pay amount due.  No amended return needed.  Ditto for the state.

The only disadvantage of this is that IRS may take a long time to come back to you ( they are severely short-staffed , they say ) and therefore there may be interest charges -- but interest on such small amount  is minuscule.

Or of course you can an amend returns for the federal and the state and clear up the matter  and not have to wait for the IRS. 

Is there more I can do for you ?

Keep the w-2c just in case but I would not bother to file an amended return for a $3 change

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies