turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krikorr

Does a 1099-INT from the IRS for interest income mean I have a credit balance with the IRS?

For the second year in a row, I received a 1099-INT from the IRS for interest income from internal revenue service..  I assume this indicates I have a credit balance with the IRS.  How do I find out what the balance is and how to apply it to this years taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does a 1099-INT from the IRS for interest income mean I have a credit balance with the IRS?

a refund would include the refund and interest the IRS pays for not refunding to you timely.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did you file amended returns each year or have your refund delayed and IRS added on some interest to your refunds?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Anonymous
Not applicable

a refund would include the refund and interest the IRS pays for not refunding to you timely.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

It does not indicate a credit balance. The IRS doesn't carry credit balances. If you had a credit balance, they would send you the money. The 1099-INT from the IRS is for interest they paid you, usually because they took more than 45 days to pay your refund. As Lisa995 indicated in her comment, it could also be interest on a refund that you got from an amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies