dkgcbdk

Do we pay insurance penalty for 2017 before getting married on K1 non-immigrant visa? What we pick in Health Insurance in Turbo Tax?

My wife come to US June 2017 on K1 (non-immigrant) visa first time in her life. I put her on my insurance on July 2017, we got married in Aug 2017, she got GC Oct 2017, then she got a job Nov 2017. She is still under my insurance and she does not have insurance through her job. We got 1095-C with months of coverage. Do we itemize under health insurance months we were covered and if so what do I select on the page that asks about situation to wave the tax penalty?

Vanessa

If your wife was not a resident of the US prior to June of 17 then you will select the penalty waiver option, Was not required to have insurance

1. Click Federal
  2. Health Insurance
  3. I'll Pick who had it and which months
  4. De-select the months she did not have insurance click Continue
  5. Under Wasn't Required to Get Insurance put a check mark next to "Not a legal U.S Resident"
  6. Select the months she was not a resident click continue
  7. You will get a screen that says your penalty has been waived. 

Vanessa

1. Click Federal
  2. Health Insurance